Yannie: So, what caused the engine failure leaving
We used a telescoping extendable 3-pound magnet (Christmas present from Shawn’s Dad) swept through the drain plug bolt and on the first sweep picked up all the missing parts! A second sweep found only one small speck of metal that was likely remains of the old failed head gasket. We are very lucky! A couple of oil changes, retorquing, readjusting the valves, replacing the rods and an unnecessary (but prudent) additional purchase of rebuilt fuel injectors with new tips (just to get the originals serviced and have a backup set) and Yannie was back up and running better than ever. So well, in fact that she wouldn’t shut off. Literally, we had to cut the fuel supply to stop the engine. After some minor trouble shooting, putting our original fuel injectors (readjusted, cleaned, and still 90% of original state) back in, it turns out that the newly acquired injectors also needed readjustment as one of the valves was getting stuck slightly open due of residue from old test that was not diesel. The newly acquired new tipped set is now installed again and Yannie is running in tip top shape.
Seahor: Our 2-hp Seahorse has been worked pretty hard this season. Chris has been maintaining her, but does frequently threaten to find a 9.9-hp to replace her. Having made it back to
Sails: We decided to have Tony Morelli add the insignia material that we haven’t yet sewed on ourselves, to our working jib (100%) to protect it from pulpit chafe. We look forward to using it! We also collected appropriate measurements for headsails and are on the hunt for a #1 genoa (135 – 150%).
Chainplates: The final beat into
Computer work: Most importantly, our offshore Winlink communication systems were brought back up to speed downloading programs to and connecting our Fijitsu with the HAM radio to replace the old shipboard computer that gave up a couple months ago. Additionally, we have updated the backlog of blog entries with pictures that have been awaiting posting.
Kitty climber: Chris removed the carpet on the mast several months back and now that Grizzly is back aboard, she needs her scratching post. As carpet is in short supply around here and Chris has been envisioning something more “knot-ical”, we have decided to Moku Hitch 40-inches of mast, starting and ending it with Turk’s Heads, using 3/8 inch natural fiber twine. A fun group project that managed to take an entire day to complete, we are excited with the outcome. Hopefully Griz likes it, we’ll let you know…
Boat clean/reorganization/zincs changed: In addition to normal boat maintenance and bottom cleaning, zincs were changed (nearly gone after 6 months), all natural teak was oiled, and below decks was reorganized and deep cleaned. Unfortunately, it is already ready for another round of this never-ending task.
Provisioning: Another never-ending task, we have refilled both of our two 2.5-gallon propane tanks (still had fuel and hadn’t been filled since November 2009), filled our water tanks with 45-gallons of fresh water, and have made several trips to Guaymas to restock food stores. We've also refilled this air tank after using it for several hours to search for a stainless steel part lost overboard... Unfortunately with very poor underwater visibility, the part was not recovered. Oh well, you can't say we didn't try! Still on the list we need to fill our diesel tank and freshwater rinse Tao.
And if that wasn’t enough to fill up the past 3-weeks, we have even spent time doing things outside of the boat projects. Since we have Pepe here, we extended our MX car insurance, recharged her AC (AutoZone employees come out to your car and do it here for only the cost of the R134, less than $5 USD!) and have found a place to store her safely when we do head back into the Sea. We have also been keeping in close touch with Stateside family going through difficult and exciting times themselves.
Amidst all of this we have made some new friends, Randy and Jenny aboard Mystic/Dulcinea, having good eats, tea time, movie/popcorn, and even hiking over the hill to Martini Cove and the oasis of Nacapule Canyon. Getting out of our projects and talking and sharing with them has helped keep us sane during this unplanned work. In addition, we’ve been getting to know other boats in the anchorage that are working on projects (Iwa), or just passing through (Sea Monster, Harmony). We’ve also been listening into the HAM/SSB nets to get weather and trying to make contact with Team Young as everyone’s cruise tracks have drastically diverged. Since we’ve been working so hard, we’ve even been giving ourselves the luxury of daily freshwater showers at the marina after each day of long hot boat work is stopped. Although originally chomping at the bit to get on out of here to sail in the northern sea, we’ve instead chosen to stop the rushing and have been enjoying every moment together here as much as possible. We are doing all of this work to get sailing and do look forward to getting back under sail sometime this week.